Friday 11 April 2014

Cliches: as bad as Disco (Tattoo addition)

You can call it an act of rebellion or a dumb trend but I think tattoos are going to continuously grow to be accepted. I don't even think tattoos can be considered a "trend" since there has been over 5000 years of the art. Sure, back in the day tattoos were reserved for sailors, criminals and circus freaks but in modern times its more common to have one than not having one. I got my first tattoo at the age of 18 by going against my parents advice that I would regret it and that I am too young to make permant desicions.

It was only a small one on my wrist. An homage to my childhood and the ever popular Harry Potter series. I wanted to avoid any type of cliche, been-done-a-thousand-times-before, designs. Of course there are a lot of Harry Potter tattoos out there and sometimes its hard to be original. My first thought was the classic deathly hallows symbol. I googled deathly hallows tattoo, and over a million results showed up. Being as stubborn as I am, I couldn't bare having a tattoo that over a million people have already. As an artist I like to think that I'm pretty original and creative and to have a cliche tattoo would ruin that reputation. I ending up getting Sirius Blacks Azkaban number on my wrist which when I googled, I could only find about 3 people with that tattooed. I figured 3 is more original than 1million so I went with it.

When people say tattoos are addicting, I believe it. It's been not even a year since my first and I am always coming up with new plans for tattoo designs. I consider tattooing as a serious possible career path for myself at times. Ultimately though I question if I could handle giving people tattoos that I wouldnt want to see. To help you out if youre thinking of getting a tattoo, below is a list of tattoos ive seen a thousand times and are as bad as disco.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS
1."Live, Laugh, Love"
2. Tinker Bell, Betty Boop and Winnie the Pooh. (specifically on middle aged women.)
3.Butterlies
4.Infinity symbols
5.Deathly Hallows symbol
6.Tribal armbands
7.Chain armbands
8.Anchors
9.Naudical stars
10.Browning buck and doe symbols
11.Feathers and arrows
12.Dandelions with bits blowing off
13.Feather transitioning into little birds
14.Any design that looks like a temporary tattoo
15.Made in "........"

I've never actually seen anyone with a heart and banner combo with the word "mom" inside, but if i did, I'd give them props.

No comments:

Post a Comment