Monday 3 February 2014

Ottawa

So this past weekend I planned a road trip to Ottawa with two friends of mine. The whole idea behind the trip was to decide  whether or not I want to move there next September for school at the University of Ottawa, or not. This post is going to be all about experiencing my first time in Ottawa and the impression I got from it along with thoughts of the future.

Since I am currently in college and can't afford to take a week off of school to visit; I had to simply go for the weekend. I'm lucky enough to have friends that go to uottawa and live on residence that let me stay in their dorm for free. My very first impression of Ottawa came from the sports bar we went to eat at the Friday night we arrived before even getting to the university. The atmosphere of the restaurant was almost like everyone knew each other. It was loud even for the small amount of people in it and it felt very....Canadian. After the restaurant we went to the residences. The two friends I was staying with shared a room on the 20th floor of their building. Overall the stay was ok but I don't think I could handle living on the top floor and have to share a bathroom with all the other girls on the floor.

The next day we went out shopping and walked around downtown Ottawa. Being in Ottawa compared to my hometown of Sudbury is like being in a different country. People in Ottawa are outside all the time; no matter how cold. Everything is close enough to walk and there's much more things to see and do. Most people around the university dress better than my hometown and also a plus is the fact that Ottawa is very diverse (therefore, many cool accents). The culture is rich and the architecture is amazing.

It took me a long time to make my decision of applying to school in another town. But, I think I've made the choice to just go for it. I get many different opinions when asking if I should move out or not. Some say "What are you going to do with a bachelor of fine arts?", "It's going to be expensive" and "Why aren't you going to Toronto for art?" while on the other hand I get the people that encourage me to follow what I love to do and go out to experience the world. The people on the other hand sound much more interesting to me. Just leaving for the weekend I did think of home and miss certain things about it. This thought scared me because I feel as though if I stay in this town where I grew up any longer I'm going to want to stay here forever. I don't want to be one of those people that never leave, and instead stay in this town looking at the same rocks everyday. No, I don't know what I'm going to do with a bachelor of fine arts. Yes, I know its going to be more expensive than college. And finally YES I am going to take the chance and apply, hopefully I get accepted and won't have to wonder what my life would be like if I would have gone away.



No comments:

Post a Comment