Wednesday 29 January 2014

Arctic Monkeys.

Welcome to my blog!
I'll just put this out there right now, I don't have a set plan for this blog (which is ironic because it's just like my life) So I'll just go with the general theme of, whatever I happen to be interested in the most that particular week.

This week follows up with the past 3 weeks of regularly listening to the "AM" album by the Arctic Monkeys on repeat. I first came across lyrics and gifs from this album on Tumblr. Eventually I got curious from seeing these things steadily for a couple weeks on my dashboard and looked it up. I instantly loved the whole album. I even bought the entire album off of iTunes; which is very rare for me to do.

I listen to it in my car pretty much everyday because it just happens to be good driving music in my opinion. I am definitely not a music critic or happen to know anything technical about music, but I'll try and describe the feel of the album as best as a can. To start off, I wouldn't really know what genre this band is. It sounds like a mix of, rock, indie, alternative and something more. The first song on the album "Do I Wanna Know?" happens to be my favourite in general and also I just happen to know all the words and may possibly sing it in my car on a daily basis... It starts off with a hard beat of stomping and clapping and then the guitar comes in followed by the great Alex Turner with the vocals.

The combination of the heavy stomping with vocals that have somewhat of a rap grace to them mixed in with the high pitched smooth background vocals makes it sound so unique. The lyrics from this album are about lust, frustration, isolation, sex and getting high. Those things are touched on by using poetic rock lyrics. My mom actually commented one day that it reminded her of, "the beatles, but not." Which is a good way to describe it. A band that is fresh and laying their own path.

Even though this is the Arctic Monkeys fifth album, I hope this is only the beginning for this band.
Here's the link to listen to the full album to experience it for yourself if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment